Re: [TCML] Re: Upgraded NPT to 15/60

On Jun 25, 2010, at 10:38 PM, jhowson4@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> "My next question, which is probably going to sound very strange but you all must already experience this...but after you build it and have it working really really well, and after you've scared the wits out of your neighbors (they call the city house inspector and he comes to make sure you aren't creating black holes or structurally altering your home) and all your family thinks you're honestly mad because you have musical coils in the living room and lightning bolts spewing out of your garage - then what do you do with it all these coils?"
>
> correct answer--Put them in the shed... so you can begin work on the 3' X 30' secondary in the garage and 100KVA substation in the living room.. =D

This is indeed the answer I'd hoped for.  Validates my inclination toward acquisition of a pole pig.  My new wife was accepting of my HV addiction on our wedding day, but is now doubting her own judgement.

Meanwhile, Grizzly will be delivering the 1/2 ton lathe this week, which is part of the overall mania.  I haven't lost the woman yet, though it's only be a couple months.

One question I do have:  Arcs from my coil seem to favor the strike ring.  That is, they don't like searching out sideways to the various grounded targets I've set up, but seem to always travel straight downward to the ring, which is sort of boring.  I mean, I'm glad it's not self-destructing and that's what the ring is there for.  But to have the arcs "only" hitting the ring is sort of self-referential.  I imagine this is a geometry problem.  I'm wondering if it could be solved by raising the toroid above the secondary a couple inches with an insulator and electrically connecting it via a strand of 26 ga magnet wire.  Perhaps this additional "distance" would encourage to find a ground path elsewhere, and perhaps improve the light show.

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Joe