Fwd: [TCML] Frying tesla coil

On Tue, Jun 1, 2010 at 10:04, Garry Freemyer <garryfre@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hmm, now that is much more believable than Gary Lau's idea that after hours
> and hours of operation, it was over-coupling, I think I'll go in and amend
> my video to say it is still a mystery and say some suggest it is material in
> the form but later I'm told they have strict rules about this and that it
> could be that the insulation simply broke down. I did find what looked like
> metal fragments in the form in three different places rather deep, but it
> could have been silver paint, or who knows.
>
> I definitely remember a member saying that the place where he worked dumped
> floor sweepings into the vat of molten plastic but now I find myself
> irritated that someone would say this when maybe it didn't happen. I
> believed them and now I feel like I've been made a fool of.

Well, if you remember someone saying it on this list it must be true then!
Nobody ever says anything wrong on this list.

Anyways, while we're on the topic of PVC imperfections I thought I'd share
some of my experience.  I've made several secondaries for my DRSSTC.  I got
a really good deal on some 3.5" O.D. PVC.  For a while the PVC worked okay,
until I started pushing the coil really hard.  When I say "hard" I mean over
5X secondary length (12" x 3.5" winding).  I quickly discovered that the PVC
pipe I use is foam walled.  I had internal flash overs on two secondaries
before I started filling them with oil.  Now I've replaced the internal
flash overs with lots of leaking.