From: David Rieben <drieben@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thu, July 29, 2010 7:27:32 PM
Subject: Re: [TCML] Dummy load for optimum cap size Experimentation

Hmm,

Good points, Scott. Could the bulbs possibly be
submerged or partially submerged in an exact
amout of water while lit up and then measure the
thermal rise of the volume of water? Something
about this setup cries "electrocution hazard" to me,
but just a thought.

David Rieben

PS: Adam's "yurtle turtle" mention of measuring the
brilliance of the bulb seems to be about the most
straight forward approach, assuming that the lux
meter and its proper calibration are not prohibitively
costly.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Scott Bogard" <sdbogard@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, July 29, 2010 4:25 PM

> Greetings all,
> I'm not sure an IR thermometer would work, I used one on a plasma globe once
>that was very cool to the touch, and got crazy readings of thousands of degrees,
>they were wild and all over the place.  If it was a matter of the light
>emissions of the bulb causing the readings, one would need to cover the false
>primary with something opaque but a good conductor of heat, so that the IR
>thermometer would work (but this might overheat the bulbs.)  If it was an RF
>thing, maybe a cage would help?  I never investigated it at the time.  Just my
>two cents...
>
> On 7/29/2010 8:00 PM, Binny wrote:
>> HI,
>> Wonder why one wouldn't use one of those non contact IR Thermometers?
>> They're relatively inexpensive and fairly accurate.
>> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Gary Lau" <glau1024@xxxxxxxxx>
>> Sent: Thursday, July 29, 2010 7:14 AM
>> Subject: [TCML] Dummy load for optimum cap size Experimentation
>>

>>> I'm gathering materials and plans to perform this experiment -
>>> determining
>>> the cap size that will extract maximum power from an NST, at 120 and
>>> 140VAC
>>> input. The power indication will be via monitoring the surface