Re: [TCML] Re: Dummy load for optimum cap size Experimentation

Sure, you could easily mount a photocell on a bucket and cover the lamps. I don't think your going to see too many fluctuations, but you can saturate the photocell if it's too close to the lamps and the power is high enough, so a little light filter is useful if you run into that issue (and almost anything can be used, even that Kapton tape). DC power is useful also for a simple VI measurement. If you don't have a variable supply on hand, then just rectify the output of a variac.

Take care,
Bart

Gary Lau wrote:
Time to eat some words.

I tried various amateurish ways to couple the thermocouple to the halogen
lamp.  The kapton tape made a drippy stinky mess as soon as the bulb got
maybe 30% power.  I tried pressing the thermocouple to the bulb with a
spring, and put a layer of fiberglass drapery between the spring and
thermocouple.  The drapery pigments smoked and made a mess.  Perhaps some
better quality fiberglass may have worked better, but when I was using the
kapton tape, the time to reach equilibrium seemed excessive - several
minutes, and given that I'll be taking data on MANY data points, I'm just
not that patient.  So I'll be using a photocell and Ohmmeter.  Maybe I can
just throw a cap across it if there are fluctuations.  At the power levels
(~50%) I was trying just now with simple line AC, the brilliance of the
halogen lamp swamped any room illumination, so shielding probably is not an
issue.