Re: [TCML] solid state varaic

Scott,

this is how most large ups's are built the difference from them to vfd's is that the output V/F is adjustable

first u need to rectify the incoming voltage to a dc - this will determine the max output - then like u said a PWM with its value varying for the F/V u select then a hbridge to output folled by some filtering and viola a VFD

this being simple in theory the practical implication can be quite unstable / expensive in comparison the the cost of a simple variac... not saying it cant be done but for the general hobbyist it can be quite daunting

also there is the issue of stepping up the voltage to get +110v ... unless you have 240v / 440v available

hope this helps enlighten this subject

Regards
Paul B
Greetings all,
So my research into VFDs has indicated that to get the winding to believe it is being fed a sine wave of X voltage and Y frequency, they use a PWM with a variable duty cycle across the sine wave. So I'm wondering if it would be possible to make a solid state variac in a similar manner, the advantage would be light weight and I would assume it would be much cheaper when dealing with high powered systems, the disadvantage is I don't think it would be possible to get the 140/280V output like you can with the real thing. Basically all one would need would be an analog to digital converter being fed by 5VAC off of a potentiometer to make it 0-5VAC, this would feed a PWM driven full bridge IGBT array, at some point you would need a computer like an arduino or some such to logic the digital signal into a duty cycle for the bridge. The intricacies are beyond me, but my research suggests this has actually been done in some form (for DRSSTCs anyway) if anybody has any experience on how they accomplished this (and if it would work with a transformer) please do share.

Scott Bogard.