Re: [TCML] Two phenomena...

Phil Tuck wrote:

Joe,
As others have said you are slipping out of sync. I modified a motor once and checked its sync' by using an oscilloscope (the disc itself tripped an IR beam and then compared it with the mains cycle on a duel channel o'scope) It showed itself to be in sync' until I ran it with the added the weight of the electrodes and their holders. Then it would very slowly slip out of sync', with it only 'aligning' with the mains cycle once every couple of seconds. You could actually watch the trace on the scope slowly creeping across the screen, instead of staying stationary.

In my own case (which is unlikely to apply to you unless you are using a motor you have modified yourself) I needed to remove a bit more from the 2HP motor's rotor. Most likely though it is as John or Garry suggests: Voltage drop; motor size; phase controller. My favourites being the first two: especially motor size.

Have fun.
Phil

Almost certainly the problem was the windage loss rather than the added weight itself. Turns out that disks rotating at high speeds pump a lot of air from the middle to outside and that causes significant retarding torque. As I recall the windage increases as the cube of the speed and the fifth power of the disk diameter.