Re: [TCML] Two phenomena...

Joe,

Usually this oscillation means the SRSG is not running at synchonous rpm.  At some
position of the phase shifter the motor may be losing synchonism (not running
at 1800 rpm).  Usually the motor will make a hunting sound it this happens.
You can vary the phase shifter with the tesla coil shut off but the SRSG running,
to listen for the hunting sound, or observe under fluorescent light for synchronism,
or use a scope, etc.  In some cases the motor will only drop of of sync when
the Tesla coil is operating due to power line voltage drop caused by the extra
current draw when the coil is running.

John

I started to notice a long-period (like 2-5 seconds) oscillation in the sparks -

diminishing and increasing.  It seemed to me like some kind of weird timing

synchronization issue, and indeed, it does "go away" when I adjust the Freau

phase shifter - but then I get other problems.  It seems when I'm in  the "sweet

spot" for timing, I get this slow oscillation.