Re: [TCML] Terry Filter for OBIT/ Resistor Ratings

Terry designed the filter to be used in a wide variety of applications.
Indeed, if using a low-powered NST, 100W is overkill.  Note that the figure
you calculated is for the sum of both resistors.

I use a 15/60 NST with two 1600 Ohm  130W ('cause that's what I found)
resistors.  But while it may seem that the power would be .06*.06*1600=5.8W
each, they actually get painfully hot.  I'm sure they're nowhere near 130W
(which would literally be smoking), but you do want some headroom ;-) in the
rating.

Using a 100W resistor will give you room to grow, but if that's unlikely,
you could probably use a lower-power rating.  Just beware that part of the
reason to use a high power rating is that the resistor must be able to
withstand end-to-end voltage spikes on the order of the NST rating, and this
is why metal-cased resistors should not be used.  Physically long ceramic
resistors are better able to stand off high voltages.

Regards, Gary Lau
MA, USA