Re: [TCML] Variac ID

Dan Casaregola wrote:
Is there any way I can determine whether my variac can be used for controlling 240 volts as opposed to 120?
The only markings visible on it are the name of the manufacturer; SUPERIOR ELECTRIC CO./POWERSTAT.
Perhaps measuring the excitation current?  Characteristics:  Wt 22 lbs, Wire size #14.
I didn't measure the excitation current at 120 volts, since I have nothing to compare it with.
Any help will be appreciated.  Thanks

you could try comparing the excitation current at 120 and 240. If it's designed for 120, then the current at 240 will be much greater than twice the 120V.

You might also be able to run it backwards.. put the 120 in on the output (starting at the highest setting), and gradually reduce the setting until the current starts to rise fast (indicating core saturation)