Re: [TCML] New coil modeled after Green Monster

I agree with Roger, speaking from personal experience I don't like SRSG (keep in mind I'm far from the best gap builder but...) Whilst I've found you do get decent sized sparks, they are thin and not as bright as ASRSG. To combat this you may need to increase your capacitance, which is expensive firstly, and secondly I've found high capacitance coils extremely hard to tune, I never use anywhere near resonant sized let alone LTR and I do get decent enough results. It is easier to use less capacitance and fire it faster, technically less efficient but good enough! You could also try 240 BPS sync, but with this also I've never gotten it to work correctly, to hard to get it to sync up (making a Freu controller would probably help though.) Just my 2 cents, do as you will and best of luck whatever you decide, but my advice would be play with ASRSG first.

Scott Bogard.
P.S. There is one more advantage to sync, it is easier on the power supply...

On 7/10/2010 9:45 PM, Roger Smith wrote:
I have built a Tesla coil that is in some ways similar to the Green
Monster. The secondary is wound on a 12.5" diameter pvc sewer pipe, and
it is wound with 19 gage wire. It is a DC resonant charging type Tesla
coil with a break rate of 425 bps and it has worked very well.
I have never built a SRSG Tesla coil but the one thing I don't like
about them is that you are limited to 120 bps. That's less than a third
of the break rate of my coil. That means that if you are going to run
the same power level as my coil with 425 bps you need to put in over
three times as much energy per break. That would be hard to do without
having problems.

Roger
----- Original Message ----- From: "Bill Fuller" <bfuller@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, July 10, 2010 1:36 PM
Subject: [TCML] New coil modeled after Green Monster

I've made 3 secondaries out of new materials and they all burned... I
also thought it was coupling and perhaps I could not get the spacing far
enough.

Coil dia 10.75"
Primary ID 14.5"
10 degree conical primary
Javatc calculated coupling: .15

I'd be curious to know coupling on the green monster and how that compares.

I actually measured the coupling but don't have that data handy. It was
near the Javatc number I believe.

I'm using a propeller SRSG at 1800 RPM.

I would say its hard to "copy" a coil due to material and construction
differences but it is nice to start with some "knowns". I am after
maximum spark length with this new coil:)

Bill