Re: [TCML] SRSG "sputter"

Hi All,
Well, indeed the problem was curable by advancing the timing on the rotor about 30 degrees.  Now I can bring it up to full power - BUT - I would say that on full power the arcs aren't as large as they were when I had the "sputter" problem.  After doing a bit of reading I've come to the conclusion that the sputter was indeed some off-timing resonance issue where I was not entirely discharging my MMC bank.   Perhaps it was some out-of-control ringup issue that the safeties were saving me from, with the pulses hitting the cap bank at some multiple of the resonant frequency.  I measured my  Thus the safeties were firing to offload the additional charge.

Java TC suggests my resonant freq is around 130khz but it wouldn't surprise me if it was closer to 120khz, which, perhaps, would cause some issues at 120bps under certain conditions.  It would take me going out and getting some HV probes for my scope to see it for myself...

Meanwhile, it works now fine.

Of course, this will not stop me from trying the other SRSG designs.  I'm too curious.
I'm also going to try an ARSG, as I do like the sound.... ;-)

Joe