Re: [TCML] Coil v1.1 w/SRSG video

Oh oh.  Did you say garage door opener?  Thank your lucky stars that it
still works.  I killed one of mine and the archives are full of similar
stories.

Garage door openers are notoriously vulnerable to death by TC.  You don't
need a strike to kill one.  Even if you unplug the AC cord, the wires to the
pushbuttons and optical sensors act as antennas, and are capacitively
coupled to your sparks.  It's a royal PITA, but in addition to unplugging
the opened, you should also disconnect ALL wires leaving the opener box.  I
installed a multi-contact connector to the pushbuttons and sensors to make
it a relatively easy disconnect.

A couple other things.  I notice that you have a lot of cordage leading to
your coil.  My coil pulls over 20A from the wall, and there's a significant
voltage drop in the meins wiring, so when you're looking to squeeze a bit
more performance, you may want to consider using the shortest,
heaviest-gauge AC cord you can.

Also, if you have a properly built Terry filter. it's not clear that a coil
will suffer harm if there's a primary strike.  Many coilers including myself
don't use a strike rail, and your rail seems to be a frequent target.

Regards, Gary Lau
MA, USA