[TCML] Notes on first SRSG...

HI All,
I got my first SRSG running today.  Some notes, and maybe you experienced fellows can enlighten me on the phenomena I'm observing --

 - Running a 15/60 NST.  17 turns of 1/4" x 1/4" refrigeration line as primary.  22" tall, 30GA, 4" dia secondary.   25nf MMC (3 banks of 18  0.15mf by 2kV).  Tophat is an 18" x 4.5" spun toroid.  Using 2 variacs - one in John Freau's phase-shift configuration, and one for primary power.

 - Experimented running with the static gap and 25nf, instead of 18nf on the MMC.  With 25nf on the MMC the variac has to be an nearly 120V for the static gap to fire.   It's kind of all or nothing.  Turning on the primary is around the 13th turn in this configuration

 - Switched to the rotary gap - difficult to "tune" the SRSG phase in this configuration, because you either get it to fire, or not, with max power on the power variac.  Lots of trial and error.

- Tried tuning the phase without the coil resonator connected to the SRSG.  Sort of works...think I got it firing right.

 - Took the 3rd bank of the MMC off - and lowered the total tank cap to 18nf.    Now the gap fires at lower voltages, and I can tune the phase.   Though now I'm worried I should switch back to the 25nf capacitance to avoid blowing something.

With 18nf capacitance and the SRSG rotating in what I think is a reasonable sync phase with utility power - I'm getting some really great results.  Sparks are bright and "mean" sounding - full of what I presume to be 60hz buzz.

Is there any reliable way to tune the phase of the SRSG with a scope (or without) - without having to rig up some kind of optical strobe sensor?

Thanks to all for the help!

Tesla mailing list
Tesla@xxxxxxxxxx