[TCML] Hot MOTs

Chip, All,

News of the demise of spark-gap coiling was a bit premature, I'm afraid.  I've just constructed a new, twin MOT power supply based on microwave oven transformers:

http://myweb.cableone.net/grcarhunter/stimulus_MOT.html

I use it to power my "Stimulus Package" spark gap tesla coil:

http://myweb.cableone.net/grcarhunter/stimulus.html

The MOTs have added only about 2" to max spark length so far, but I think I can still stretch a bit more from it.  I'm getting measured 48" strikes to a steel garage door, but I'm sure I've seen occasional, single "rogue" streamers (terminating in mid-air) that are longer, perhaps as long as 5 feet.  No way to measure them though.  Maybe I can capture one of those on video?

The new PSU runs hot, and also overheats my all-copper single static sucker gap.  This is the first power supply I've used capable of overheating one of my sucker gaps.  The current must be crazy.

Tuning is a bit peculiar.  At turn 10, the sparks are regular and predictable.  The coil makes a steady, if unpleasant, 60Hz grinding sound.  The sparks appear 2 or 3 at a time and persist for over 1 second, drifting across the toroid with almost plasma-globe-like behavior.  The streamers run about 36", with the periodic 48" strikes described earlier.  On turn 11, however, spark formation is chaotic, as though the coil can barely break out.  When it does break out, the sparks flash only once, with zero drift time, and they also seem brighter and hotter.  Also, primary strikes greatly increase in number.  In this mode, the coil sounds like a V-8 throwing a rod, and the sparks are like aimless gunshots.  I haven't attempted to measure max strike length in this slightly mis-tuned condition, but I'm pretty confident they'd be longer.

No spark photography yet.  I'll get to it when I'm able.

Best Regards,

Gregory R. Hunter
Long Beach, MS
http://myweb.cableone.net/grcarhunter/