To: <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, January 26, 2010 11:11 PM
Subject: [TCML] spark gap substitute...?

Hello all,

I'm having difficulty getting my stationary spark gap to work properly.  I
am wondering; is it possible to use an optocoupler (triggered by a 555 timer or maybe a function generator) to trigger a pair of massive SCRs to imitate
the function of a spark gap?
The biggest SCRs I've seen can handle 1kv (probably rated in DC, but i'm not
sure), so it couldn't be too big of a coil.  I'm just wondering if this
would work or if I'm missing something obvious.

Thanks,
daniel