[TCML] ESBT Transistors now available in Tesla hobbiest quantities

A friend of mine sent me an e-mail this week with links to the Mouser site on the ESBT, Emitter Switched Bipolar Transistors. It's my understanding that these transistors have been out there about five years, but available only if you bought large batches. Now we can buy them in small quantities at very affordable prices. (no, I have no Mouser or STMicro stock :>)

What do these transistors do for us?

1) very low "on" resistance, 0.075 ohms
2) 8 amps at 1500 volts (there is one version that will do 4 amps at 1700 volts)
3) switching speeds of 150 kilohertz
4) price of $8.75 in onesies, $7.70 in lots of 10, $6.30 in lots of 100

Mind you, these are the published maximum ratings - no coiler worth his salt would run one with out trying to push it at least 25% to 50% beyond those ratings (and a few of you would try way more than that!)

I foresee some very affordable, very powerful SSTC's being built by members of this list based upon this technology.

Link to the Mouser catalog page on these parts: http://www.mouser.com/Search/Refine.aspx?Keyword=esbt

Link to more information on ESBT transistors and what they are and how they work: http://www.st.com/search?q=esbt&ud=1&sort=date%3AD%3AL%3Ad1&output=xml_no_dtd&entqr=3&entsp=a&access=p&oe=UTF-8&ie=UTF-8&client=ST_COM_frontend&proxystylesheet=ST_COM_frontend&site=ST_COM

I want to thank Bob Paddock for sharing this info with us.

Bert Pool