Re: [TCML] ideas needed for using 3 SMPS NSTs (10 kV, 30 mA)

Thomas Ryckmans wrote:
Hello,

I have 3 "solid state" SMPS NSTs (10 kV, 30 mA) and was looking for a
"useful" application for them - any bright ideas? Anything that makes sparks
or smells of ozone is deemed useful.

It says "cool neon" Neon Power Supply, E217776 made in China
Input is 120VAC 50/60Hz 0.9A, Output is 10kV 30mA but no frequency given.
Note the output watts are higher than input watts - I assume the 30mA are
not at 10kV

They don't look very good for powering a Jacob's ladder - there is a short
circuit protection that switches off pretty rapidly as arcing occurs

Many thanks

Thomas

Hi Thomas,

The high frequency (20+ kHz) output is ideal for driving a Cockroft-Walton (C-W) Voltage Multiplier, since smaller HV capacitors can be used in each stage. The following web page provides useful C-W design info for both half and full wave C-W multipliers:

http://www.blazelabs.com/e-exp15.asp

Bert
--