From: Paul Brodie <pbbrodie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sun, Jan 3, 2010 1:25 am
Subject: Re: [TCML] Terry Filter for OBIT's

Good point Matt but you still didn't address the need for a filter with this type of transformer. I am assuming, from your other comment about using a Terry filter to Andrew, that you espouse the use a filter with all transformers???

In regard to the cost factor, I failed to mention that OBIT's are almost always available on eBay for about $20 plus $10 for shipping and this still makes replacement quite a bit less than the full cost of building a Terry Filter.

This leads to my next question. About 5 years ago, I had two previous TC's based upon neon sign transformers and out of ignorance never used anything but safety gaps and never used a filter at all. One was a 15kV 30mA TC and the other one was based on a 12kV 30mA neon sign transformer and both used multiple spark gaps with very conservative gapping. I didn't run my coils for long periods of time, usually not more than a few minutes at a time, and I never had a transformer failure. I have had several other types of small Tesla Coils but they were based on very small power supplies and I do not feel they are relevant to this discussion.

So, my question is whether you believe a filter is an absolute necessity with all but pole pigs or is it simply added insurance? Please note that I have no opinion or even a dog in this fight. I am just asking.
Paul
Think Positive

----- Original Message ----- From: <mddeming@xxxxxxx>