Re: [TCML] Terry Filter for OBIT's

Hi,

I should mention that the only transformer I ever blew up was a brand new OBIT incorrectly loaded. That is what inspired the whole "terry filter" thing :D

First Tranny I blew up, and also the last ;) The filters saved the rest :)

Terry

mddeming@xxxxxxx wrote:
I finally got in my "OBIT" and it isn't an OBIT at all. It also isn't 9000 volts and 50mA. It is actually a power transformer built similar to a large MOT and is 6000 volts and 50mA. I'm pretty sure the 9000 volts was a typo. The guy I bought it from just would deliberately give the wrong information. It is also a very hefty, 21 lbs. The core measures about 4" by 4.5" by 6" and it is apparently wound with the primary underneath the secondary, as there are two wires that go from the primary binding posts to the center of the windings and the secondary binding posts are mounted on top of the windings. It is NOT wound like most MOT's I've seen with the primary and secondary windings separate. The secondary is also center tapped. Since I now have very little to go by about how substantial this transformer is, I think it may be wise to simply go ahead and use a filter but since I only paid $20 for it, I'm having difficulty justifying the expense to do so. Maybe I should just use a safety gap?
The justification for a Terry filter is not what you paid for your transformer, but rather the cost you will have to replace that transformer
with another if and when it fries. If you won a car on a $1 raffle ticket would you not put good brakes on it because they cost more than you paid for the car?

Matt D.

=