Re: [TCML] Toroid height, What's best

I've always found the best height experimentally for every coil I've made, a bigger toroid sits lower and provides better shielding. No topload at all should terminate like 1.5 times the coil height about the top turn if memory serves (which it might not, you have been warned.) Usually mine sit between 1.5 and 3 inches and I go as big as I can. so your system should be good by my reckoning, doesn't hurt to experiment though.

Scott Bogard.

-----Original Message-----
From: Shaun Epp <scepp@xxxxxxx>
To: tesla@xxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Mon, Feb 22, 2010 7:41 pm
Subject: [TCML] Toroid height, What's best

Hello Group,

Well I just bought a new toroid, It came by mail today. I was wondering if I need to change its height relative to the top winding of my secondary, I assume that this changes the self capacitance of the secondary and flashover voltage, but I'm not sure. Could some experts enlighten me. Right now the bottom of the 16" x 5" toroid is 1 inch above the top windings of my 4.25" dia secondary, and the secondary has 22.25 inches of windings.

It's too cold outside for me to run tests right now, I'll have to wait 1.5 months for that to change. But spring is coming :-))

thanks,

Shaun Epp