RE: [TCML] Tesla Coil detector

Ya gots to read the whole post.  :)   As I wrote, at 8-10 feet away, the small neon bulb
(ne-2 type) just by itself does not light up at all.   However the same type of neon bulb
in the detector does flash on and off because it is biased with potential to be near
ignition.

>Well, the neon on its own will light up near a tesla coil. I (and many
>others) use this as a cheap trick with a nixie or similar tube.

----------------

Thanks for pointed that out, but I already said "radiation".
>> before it "ignites" or lights up that is.  As such the neon bulb is
>> "on-edge" for any ionizing particles or radiation to turn on the light.
   >Or any stray source of energy.  Like the RF From the
   >Tesla Coil.

----------

I'll have to try
 with it enclosed in the metal screening.

Sure electrons (beta radioactivity per say) doesn't travel too far at all,
because of air molecule collisions, so that puts a dampener on electrons
coming off of the top capacitor as any source for sparks?   Perhaps is
something else, and just affects electrons in the air molecules.

>> stop a certain amount of EM, but cannot stop particles).
    >To stop RF with a 'screen': screen needs to _completely_
    >surround the  detector, AND have no wires thru the screen.
    >(Hint: I used to get paid to do RFI control and qualification.)
    >
    >The '8-10 feet' of air will stop particles nicely.

Correct, but that was the point.   At 8-10 feet away the free standing neon bulb
does nothing, while the detector is biased so its neon bulb fires even at that distance.

 Meanwhile a second neon bulb
 connected to nothing at all, does not
>> light at all during the procedure.
    >The second detector is not 'biased' almost to turn on...

I will have to try and enclose the detector fully in metal mesh.

Bed covers have a lot of electrostatic - that might be interesting.
>> So this seems to be a somewhat useful high energy detector, or perhaps it
>> is indeed detecting electrons (beta particles) from the TC.   Comments on
>> what is being detected?
    >As above:
    >  'High' Voltage EM Fields.
    >
    >One intriguing test would be to try the detector with
    >HV 'static' source (is a cat handy?  Suitable plastic rubbed
    >with
 fabric?

So anyway, the point of the original post was the detector makes an interesting
high energy or high beta particle (electrons) detector, though not fully evaluated.