From: tesla-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:tesla-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf
Of Yurtle Turtle
Sent: Thursday, February 18, 2010 3:46 PM
To: Tesla Coil Mailing List
Subject: RE: [TCML] interesting spark gap idea

Actually, I use my current gap at around 10 kVA on my 10" coil, as I've
already blown up two VFDs and only have one left.

http://www.classictesla.com/hot-streamer/adam/bigass_coil/coil09.jpg

http://www.classictesla.com/hot-streamer/adam/bigass_coil/rsg1.jpg

As you see, I had a vacuum gap in series with my three phase vfd rsg, as I
found I got my best performance with this. I was actually running my motor
as high as 150 Hz, with a series vacuum gap on a variac, to find the best
combination.

These photos are really old, as I now have a .1 nF cap and have raised my
top topload as high as my 8' garage door will allow.

After blowing my second vfd, I chose to build a shop vac gap, as a quick
fix, and haven't been too disappointed. It may have lost a foot or so, but
when you already have more than you need (or the neighbors can stand)...