RE: [TCML] interesting spark gap idea

That's an excellent point - using something to control the blower speed.  If using a vacuum cleaner AC/DC "universal" motor, a triac-based lamp dimmer can be used if you want that instead of a variac (smaller & cheaper).  But my experience differs from Gary W's as far as the optimum speed setting.

I found that any speed beyond maybe 20% of full power offered no difference in spark performance.  It just made the vacuum cleaner motor louder, which I really didn't want.  And since a full-throttle vacuum cleaned motor can draw 10-12 Amps, I'd rather have as much of my 20 Amp breaker budget going to my NST and not so much to the gap blower.

Regards, Gary Lau
MA, USA