Re: [TCML] Spark Gap quenching fans

Simon,
I used to use a pair of high flow 12v fans in one of my gaps and I initially experienced the same problem.

In my case the interference from the spark gap and wires was being inducted into the 12v power. This in turn was stopping the electronic drive in the fans.

I cured mine by rapping the 12v supply around a toroid and adding a 0.1uF cap across the 12v supply as near the motor as possible.

It is also possible that the interference is coming via the mains through your 12v power supply. Again it is worth trying a filter on the mains and 12v sides.

   Cheers
      Derek

Simon Dodd wrote:
Hi guys,

I am having some problems with my quenching fans for my spark gap. They are 12v dc fans funning from a PC power supply. When I turn the system on the fans fire up but as soon as the spark gap starts firing the fans stop working. I have tried moving things around to see if I was getting RFI interference but I am still getting the same problem.

THanks in advance for your help.

Simon