RE: [TCML] New Ground Question. Surface area

> If I put one of those cheap battery type clamps on the end of
> the ground wire to clamp onto the ground rod will that hinder
performance? It
> sounds like you want alot of surface area in a grounding cable.

The surface area of the cable is important is that the cable extends for
a much longer length.  you need the surface area to reduce the RF
resistance.  The contact area of the clamp needs to be large enough so
that it can carry and short circuit currents as well as the RF from the
coil output.  Obviously, the larger the contact area, the better, since
that gives you lower contact resistance and less voltage drop across the
ground clamp connection.

I would be wary of any sort of ground clamp that can be accidentally
disconnected during operation, perhaps by a startled bystander or
operator jumping out of the way of an unexpected streamer.  My
preference is a clamp that is attached with a solidly locking clamp
screw, or a split ground clamp that encircles the ground rod.

73,

Ralph   W5JGV - WD2XSH/7