From: Paul Nicholson <tcml88@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [TCML] Magnifier topics
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 2010 16:35:25 +0000

For me, the most curious thing about magnifiers is that the
overall coupling coefficient goes much higher than a 2-coil TC,
but without the racing arcs.   As k is increased in a 2-coil
system, the secondary often breaks down (for reasons unknown)
with racing arcs.  Why do we not get this breakdown with
the 3-coil in which the overall k is high, and the k to the
secondary is very high.  Is it simply that the hot and cold
ends of the resonator are much further apart?   Or is there
more to it than that?  It doesn't help that we don't know what
the racing arcs are.

--
Paul Nicholson