Re: [TCML] 400 hz variacs

HomerLea@xxxxxxx wrote:
I have a bunch of 208v 1.3 amp and some larger variacs, all 400 hz. Can
these be used as variacs at derated in voltage on 60 hz or are they just good
for ballast?
Jim Heagy

homerlea@xxxxxxx

Hi Jim,

A transformer rated for operation at 208 volts/400 Hz can only be operated at a maximum of ~15% of its faceplate voltage, or a little over 31 VAC, at 60 Hz. It's not very clear how useful these would be for 60 Hz coiling.

Sorry,

Bert