Re: [TCML] Measuring "critical coupling" with an oscilloscope andsignal generator?

Bert Hickman wrote:
 Once you have tuned your systems for best performance (under all power
levels), the last adjustment tweak should be for "best" coupling
(i.e., best performance with no racing sparks). Unfortunately, this
adjustment is different for every coil. It is mainly dependent on the
quenching capability of the gap, bang size, resonator size, and
robustness of the secondary insulation system (including field
control between the toroid and primary). At present there are no
magic formulas or tools (other than some rules of thumb, such as keeping "k" below 0.15 or so).
Optimal coupling for YOUR system must be experimentally determined.

Thanks, Bert. I guess then that the only way to get it dialed in is to push it to the point where I get racing sparks, and then back it off a little?

That's the way I have always done it, but now that I am pushing my power levels up, I was hoping for something a little less destructive.

Thanks,

Jon