Re: [TCML] Rectifying methods

Dennis Eriksson wrote:
First of all, please show indulgence to my writing, as english is not
spoken as a primary language.

Hello fellow coilers!

Years ago, I began constructing my very last tesla coil, a magnifier
set to do nothing but entertain and educate the students in my
hometown. I didn't have time to make it pretty, as I only had 6
months until dealine. However, it was completed and operational. Set
to operate at 20kW single phase current, capable of 80kW, it was to
be the most powerful tesla coil in this part of the world. As the day
of the show arrived, it became clear that there was nowhere to plug
it in, and the show was cancelled. Ever since I have failed with
everything, education, jobs et.c. Now is the time to finish it.

I have decided to convert it into a DC powered coil, with the
advantage of using polyphase current through a rectifier, but at
these high power levels, common rectifying methods are insufficient. I have primarily been considering mercury arc valves and
electromechanical converters, but none seem apt in this application.
I need to know if there are anyone out there who knows how to rectify
my current, or have done it in the past.

What voltage are you working at? I would think that standard semiconductor rectifiers would work perfectly well. 80kW at 20-30kV is nothing special. It's only a few amps, after all.

There are many commercial vendors of high voltage, high current rectifiers, if that's the route you want to take (they're used in high power transmitters, for instance)

If you want to build yourself.. the basic technique is to string multiple lower voltage diodes in series. These days, the part to part consistency is so good, you don't need to use resistors or capacitors in the string (and, in fact, there are good reasons not to).

You could probably just use 1n5408s, which are 3A 1000PIV units, but you'd need to string 25-30 in a row for 20kV (you want to have a few extras) so it's a lot of soldering.

You might want to take a look at the NXP (Philips) BYX101-BYX104 series, all 9-10 kV parts..

the 101G is 400mA average forward current (in oil)