[TCML] Variac motors

Does any one know anything about how to operate the motors that usually are attached to variacs.
I am tinkering with an ss-150 120V 75RPM .4 amp slo syn motor. It appears to be configured as described by the circuit diagram found here on page 5, but with out the DC stuff.
http://www.inoteh.si/downloads/SynchronousMotors_181206_ENG.pdf

anyway the problem I am having is that it has no specific direction that it starts in... I turn it on and it goes one way..off...on..and if goes the other way..also there is no logic to which way it goes, it just seems to be which ever way it feels like going.

Anyone have any ideas...

Thanks,
John "Jay" Howson IV