Sent: Monday, April 19, 2010 10:03 AM
Subject: [TCML] HV insulation question

This is only tangentially related to Tesla coils, but it is apropos to HV.

I've been tinkering with automobile ignition coils off and on for years. I have a couple of Accel Super Coils, which are large, squarish coils with heavy duty plastic bodies. When I use them as power sources I have no problems tapping them at the center post and negative post. They are far enough apart that standard ring connectors work fine. However, whenever I try to use an older can-style ignition coil, I always get arcs between the center and negative terminal. Does anyone have any suggestions how to make connections to a can type coil that doesn't short like that? Maybe lengths of vinyl tubing over the connections?

I do use these ignition coils to power my small tabeltop Tesla coils (there, it is on topic . . . )

PBT