Re: [TCML] Would a Tesla coil work in a vaccum?

sparks can only be visible when there is matter in the intervening space to be ionized. In a perfect vacuum, there would be no visible sparks or plasma

From: <jhowson4@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, April 17, 2010 9:31 AM
To: "Tesla Coil Mailing List" <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [TCML] Would a Tesla coil work in a vaccum?

I would think you would end up creating a giant "plasma jar", the high voltage would ionize everything even in a minimal vacuum and the plasma would eat your secondary coil to death. if anything i recommend sealing the secondary system in a pressure chamber with "sulferhexaflouide" (I think, not quite sure what the gas is called). but whatever it is, it's an excellent insulator. Alternatively you could fill a tank with mineral oil at a normal pressure.

All in all I don't recommend sticking your coil in a vacuum.

Thanks,
John "Jay" Howson IV

----- Original Message ----- From: "Brian Hall" <brianh4242@xxxxxxxxxxx>