Re: [TCML] Extremely cheap (surplus?) doorknob capacitor source?

Christopher Karr wrote:
Hello everyone,

I am currently looking for a cheap source of doorknob capacitors
rated at from 10KVRMS to 20KVRMS (15- to 30-thousand volts
peak-rated) at the highest value possible, though at the lowest price
possible. The intended use is, primarily, a VTTC, though a CW
multiplier is also being designed for the purpose of building a
home-brew, linear particle accelerator (LinAc).

Interesting projects, but they really need different types of capacitors.
ceramic capacitors suitable for a VTTC, for instance, have to carry significant RF current, while the voltage multiplier ones don't.

Your LINAC.. is it RF driven (in the classic Alvarez drift tube style) or are you just doing a potential drop like Cockroft Walton. What sort of energy (and particles) are you wanting from your LINAC?

I am sixteen years old, low on funds, and looking for values on the
order of a nano-Farad or two per capacitor. My price-ceiling is quite
low, sadly: $100 in total; payable by PayPal or cash-transfer.

If you're buying "used" caps, you need to know their history, unless they are really dirt cheap and you can afford to throw them away.

To be honest, I know that there are few sources of doorknob
capacitors in somewhat-large volume for this price, though I am
optimistic and shall remain that way.

What is "somewhat large"... are you looking for $10/each or $1/each?

http://www.surplussales.com/Capacitors/Trans_Coup_Caps/cap_trans.html
is representative of "surplus" outlets
http://www.rfparts.com/caps_ceramicdoor.html
is another source

Thank you for all of your help, past and present,

New Busy is not the old busy. Search, chat and e-mail from your
inbox. http://www.windowslive.com/campaign/thenewbusy?ocid=PID28326::T:WLMTAGL:ON:WL:en-US:WM_HMP:042010_3_______________________________________________ Tesla mailing list Tesla@xxxxxxxxxx http://www.pupman.com/mailman/listinfo/tesla