Re: [TCML] Primary Capacitance Calculations - "Black Boxes"

Thomas Schmit wrote:
> [JavaTC] is a black box because I don't know the algorithm
> it uses, nor do I know how this algorithm was derived.

Fair point.  Perhaps there should be a web page describing
how the calculations are derived.

> Please elaborate on "good physics".

Coulomb's law is used to determine the charge distribution
over the secondary coil and topload, and hence the distributed
capacitance.  This is implemented as a 'method of moments'
calculation.  Faraday and Ampere's laws do something similar
for the inductance distribution.

Once the capacitance and inductance distributions are obtained
from the raw dimensions, the entire resonator is modelled
within the program as a large network of L, C, and R.

The network is solved using the 'generalised minimum residual'
method to produce the current and voltage distributions, and
the resonant frequency.

Then there is straightforward circuit theory to calculate the
behaviour of the primary and power supply parts.  Some empirical
rules are required to estimate breakout performance.
--
Paul Nicholson