RE: [TCML] Building a pulse generator

Also, the 3055 was the 'go-to' power transistor about 30 years ago (about
the time the 555 came onto the scene (designed by Hans Camenzind --
interesting person but has a lot of basic facts wrong on Tesla))

http://www.historyofelectronics.com/

http://www.edn.com/blog/1700000170/post/1930037993.html

There are choices that are a lot lot better these days.

The pots will control the frequency, not the voltage. You are feeding it 12
volts. This is what you have in a car so the ignition coil is not going to
generate any more volts than what it would in a car.

Also, something to consider is that you are going to get AC out of the coil.
You need DC. You are looking at storing it in a capacitor to use for a
high-speed flash.  You only need a couple K-volts. Rectifiers rated for 30K
are expensive.

It would be a lot simpler to use some kind of isolation transformer
(Microwave Oven transformer) with a couple of voltage doubling stages after
that. The MOT is 110 in and about 2KVAC out. Put an advertisement in your
local newspaper saying that you are looking for dead microwave ovens and
stand back... (grin) You can then salvage a whole bunch of transformers,
high-voltage rectifiers and capacitors.

PLEASE NOTE that these caps will not be suitable for a high-speed strobe.
You need high voltage and low C

Dave