Re: [TCML] plan

Hi

Here is the correct link, thanks Chuck.
http://matttech.wordpress.com/2009/05/19/homemade-tesla-coil/

Now to the original posters question:
"Can anyone tell me if it will work as the designer  says or if there is a
better plan?"
All required components are there, no reason to think it would not work, but
there is a better plan.

There are some less than optimal design features in the picture and in the text
on that page. The most obvious is the placement of the spark gap and capacitor.
While the arrangement shown in the picture will work, it is not healthy for the
high voltage transformer. Placing the gap across the transformer and the
capacitor in series with the primary coil offers some protection to the high
voltage transformer from the high voltage transients and ringing seen across the
capacitor. Another is 400 turns is a bit skimpy for a Tesla Coil secondary
winding. 800 to 1500 is a fair range, 1000 to 1200 is most often recommended.
There is no mention of, or apparent provision for tuning. Proper tuning makes
the difference between a coil that works, and one that doesn't. #22 wire is a
bit thin for a primary coil. Winding a primary directly on the secondary even
with several layers of electrical tape is not a good idea.

Of course the best plan is often not to use a plan, but to make your own plan.

Step 1:
Visit www.pupman.com and read the safety sheet
http://www.pupman.com/safety.htm (direct link in case you have trouble with
frames)
You should do that anyway if you have not done so already.
Learn as much as you can about Tesla Coils before you start to build one. Search
the list archives at www.pupman.com there is a wealth of information there.
Visit one of the "Hot-Streamer" mirror sites, another great source of
information. Mine is at http://deanostoybox.com/hot-streamer/
Visit some of the sites on the Tesla Coil Web Ring.
Don't believe everything you read. (example: the claim that Tesla transmitted
power over 20 miles without wires has never been substantiated)

Step 2:
Acquire a source  of high voltage. An oil burner ignition transformer or small
neon sign transformer is best to start with. Just make sure the transformer is a
real transformer and not one of the newer solid state replacements so popular
today. Also be aware that Neon Sign Transformers (NSTs) are now required to have
secondary ground fault protection. This needs to be defeated or removed for the
transformer to be used as a power supply for a Tesla Coil. Better if you can
find an older non-gfci NST. There are other options like microwave oven
transformers, automotive ignition coils, and flyback transformers out of old TV
sets or computer monitors, but they are a bit harder to implement.

Step 3:
Look around and see what materials you have available. The more usable stuff you
can scrounge the less you will have to buy.

Step 4:
Design your coil around the stuff you have based on the ratings of your high
voltage transformer. Use some of the many excellent design tools available. Two
that come to mind off the top of my head are Ed Sonderman's Excel spreadsheet
available from www.pupman.com, and JavaTC at http://classictesla.com
Ask questions here if there is something you don't understand.

Step 5:
Build your coil.

Step 6:
Enjoy the fruits of your labors.