Re: [TCML] Main ground vs RF ground

Hey Chuck...

In the majority of instances, the RF ( or secondary base wire) should have its own "RF" ground rod. Hooking the secondary base to the "house" ground can lead to problems with items that contain circuitry boards... and thats about everything as far as appliances go... computers, ovens, stoves, refridgerators, garage door openers, touch lamps ( the kind you touch to turn on) will eventually fall prey to the wrong grounding techniques. But since you are asking about NST's and the Terry filter, if you are running a single low powered NST with a Terry Filter, you may not have too many issues to be concerned about, but if you are running multiple NST's, I would consider a separate RF ground to be safe... Replacing the stoves controller board isnt cheap... ask me how I know about that one ;)

There are some instances in which the NST is wired with the case ground on the center tap of the unit... IIRC grounding the case and secondary becomes "weird"...
not too sure about this situation....  see if someone else has that answer.

Scot D

chuck wrote:

Some coilers say that the NST may be grounded to the mains ground and that
the secondary of the TC should be grounded to RF ground and emphatically
declare that the two should never meet. Others say ground is ground and it
doesn't matter where the unit is grounded as long as it is grounded. The
famous schematic of the Terry Filters shows the NST and the TC sharing a
common ground.

So which is it? Should the Terry Filter schematic be altered? Or not? I hope
for first lights by Thanksgiving so I need an answer ASAP.

asimov13647@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Stuck in the (now infamous)
23rd NY Congressional district