Re: [TCML] Solid state efficiency, was: mini Tesla coil specs

I've added some waveforms to http://drop.io/kch_ring_brg that might be of interest. Image wave1...etc. shows my simulated double-resonant secondary voltage, wave2 the single-resonant voltage and wave3 the waveforms of primary current and MOSFET voltage for both cases. Nothing changes between the DR & SR cases except adding a 180 nF capacitor in series with the primary, to resonate 11 uH.

I note 5 things: 1. Secondary voltage during the "spark" event is much less in the SR case (and I remember noting a very low voltage when my old SR coil was running). 2. The DR voltage reaches ~400 KV in 50 us whereas the SR case takes ~3x as long. 3. The % increase in primary current during the "spark" is about the same in both cases. 4. The "notches" (as I think they're called) observable in the DR secondary wave are not as deep as I might have expected. 5. That messiness in the DR MOSFET voltage during the spark event is the MOSFET being pulled out of conduction by excess current; its 25V drive during that time is unaffected.

...would that running hardware was no more than 10x as difficult as simulation! I'd take 100x.

KCH