Sent: Monday, November 09, 2009 4:07 PM
Subject: Re: [TCML] primary tubing

May be a bit off topic but since the topic is ongoing....

MilSpec 01 hard anodize in Black can be as thick as .027" pretty close to 1/32 of an inch....I have no idea how its done, what baths or chemicals are used but I do agree its brittle and will chip with enough abuse. A previous job required that a part was to be produced with such tolerances, the anodizing company produced the part and charged us accordingly... almost 4X the normal cost....

Scot D

Quarkster wrote:

Brian -

As I said, anodizing is an electrochemical process, typically using a chromic or sulphuric acid bath in conjunction with a DC current to accelerate the formation of the surface oxide.

The total thickness of the aluminum oxide layer obtained by conventional (Type II) anodizing is typically between 2-25 micrometers, or .00008 - .001 inch. "Hard anodizing" can generate oxide films up to 150 micrometers (.006 inch) thick, but these tend to be very brittle, and any deformation of the underlying metal (bending or forming) can cause the oxide film to crack and flake off.

There is no known anodizing process that can generate an oxide layer 1/32 to 1/16 inch thick.

Regards,
Herr Zapp