From: tesla-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:tesla-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf
Of David Rieben
Sent: Friday, May 29, 2009 6:07 AM
To: Tesla Coil Mailing List
Subject: Re: [TCML] New Coil Questions

Hi Tyler,

I think others have already addressed your questions
here but I will just add this little bit about x-ray cable.
High voltage x-ray cables are the lines used to trans-
fer the HVDC and the low filament voltage from the
high voltage transformer supply to the x-ray tube head.
They usually consist of two or three individually insu-
lated (for low voltage) wires (usually around #14 or #
16 braided conductor) in the center. This conductor
bundle is wrapped with a thick layer of rubber insulation,
which is for the high voltage standoff. Around the out-
side of this thick rubber sheathing is usually a wrap of
carbonized semiconductor tape and around the tape is
a metal braided sheating, which is connected to ground.
Finally, around the outside of the metal braiding is a
thin rubber outer protective sleave. Finally, the end
terminations are usually a special male plug end that
fits into the female receptacle ports of the HV transfor-
mer and the x-ray tube heads. Here is a picture of
several rolls of x-ray cable that I recently aquired:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/33464569@N05/3408614009/

David Rieben