From: tesla-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:tesla-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf
Of Tyler Pauly
Sent: Wednesday, May 27, 2009 1:48 PM
To: Tesla@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [TCML] New Coil Questions

Hello all,

I've been out of the tesla coil "circuit" for a while now but I'm looking to
get back in.  I've had a 10kVA pig sitting in my garage for a while and I
want to put it to use.  Some questions....

1)  Would it be okay to go over rating on the pig?  I assumed as much, but
figured it wouldn't hurt to ask.  I'm thinking somewhere in the range of
12-13kVA if I do.

2)  Is the most straightforward route for the tank capacitor an MMC, or are
there other (easy-to-find) capacitors that would work as well?

3)  I have an equation that tells me the capacitive reactance of my xmfr.
Do I want my tank capacitor to have that value, or would the resonant
effects be a bad thing?  What value should I shoot for?

4)  Where have most of you guys gotten your variacs?  Talking about the
0-280V 28A ones.  I can't seem to find any, and I would like 2.  I assume
they'll be expensive once I find them...

5)  Are the CDE 942 caps still the best choice in MMC building?  Who are
some suppliers?  I can only find/think of Digikey.

6)  I know the coil's secondary will be into the 3:1 realm, but how big
should it be?  I'm mainly asking for 12kVA usage with the pig, as that's
what I hope to run it with.

7)  Can I wire an arc welder in series with my outlet leads to current
limit?  I would think so, but again, it doesn't hurt to ask.

8)  My pig only has 1 HV bushing, so should I just split the wiring I attach
to it to get 2 leads off of it to make the primary circuit?  Sorry for the
bad wording, I hope I get my question across.

Thank you for bearing with me, if you got through all that.    And thanks
again if you answer any of them!  :P

Tyler