RE: [TCML] Capacitor encapsulent

No, I don't know what it is for HDPE.  But it's important to understand that when building a reliable cap, it's incorrect to think that choosing a dielectric thickness based on X kv/mil and Y peak voltage required means you need Z thickness.  I think there is a non-linear breakdown voltage vs thickness relationship.  But more importantly is something called the corona inception voltage, which means that corona will occur if the applied voltage is more than something like 650V, regardless of dielectric thickness.  As soon as corona forms with a plastic dielectric, the dielectric degrades rapidly.  The CDE caps we use in MMC's are actually constructed as two seriesed caps, with a "floating plate" between the two terminals, to effectively double the corona inception point.

So, unless you build your DIY cap as several seriesed units, you will get corona and a compromised life expectancy, regardless of dielectric thickness.

Regards, Gary Lau
MA, USA