Re: [TCML] Why Don't Bleeder Resistors Fail?

Greg -

I've seen failures of both carbon composition and metal oxide/metal film resistors that were caused by breakdown of the resistor insulation, both arcing across the body (end-to-end) of a single resistor, and arcing from one resistor to an adjacent component

Standard "general purpose" resistors have a relatively low voltage rating, typically 200 volts "working" (constant) and 400 volts "pulse" for 1/4 watt resistors, and 250 volts "working" and 500 volts "pulse" for 1/2 watt resistors.

Vishay-BC Components offer a special series of resistors (VR-series) that have much higher voltage ratings than "standard" resistors, and only cost a few cents more then the standard parts. For instance, the VR-37 series 1/2 watt resistors are rated at 3500 volts DC. I've used these for years without in high voltage applications without any problems.

Paying a few cents more per resistor to gain around 10X greater voltage margin is (to me) a small price to pay to get resistors that are specifically designed for high voltage applications.

I've seen MMC failures where a single 3 cent resistor failed and took out several expensive capacitors that were nearby.

Of course, good construction practice is probably the single most important factor in preventing HV breakdown:

1. Maintain good clearance between the resistors and any adjacent objects or surfaces (keep at least 1/4" clearance to the capacitor or mounting board);
2. After assembly, carefully remove ALL traces of soldering flux using isopropyl alcohol, etc;
3. Keep all parts of the circuit clean and free from dust buildup and other contamination;
4. Ensure adequate cooling;
5. Ensure adequate in-circuit voltage margin per resistor.

It's perfectly acceptable to connect two resistors in series across each MMC capacitor, to gain voltage margin and reduce power dissipation per resistor.

See: http://www.vishay.com/docs/28733/28733.pdf  ; for the VR-37 datasheet.

Regards,
Herr Zapp