Re: [TCML] Chinese made polystyrene caps

Hi David,

Ditto on Gary and Matts' comments. This cap has come up before on the list. Someones going to have to give them a try, but at $180 ea, well, someone with a money tree in the backyard will have to do it. I suspect due to it's small size rms currents are going to play a major role in it's limitation. There is also a high probability that these Chinese caps are not up to par in the derating area as is standard by major cap manufacturers. Too many unknowns.

Take care,
Bart

David Rieben wrote:
Hey guys,

I was just wondering if anyone has any experience
with these Chinese made capacitor types that are
absolutely flooding eBay these days:

http://cgi.ebay.com/30kV-0-2-F-High-Voltage-Polystyrene-capacitor-HAM-audio_W0QQitemZ360120565659QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item53d8dbbf9b&_trksid=p4634.c0.m14.l1262&_trkparms=%7C301%3A1%7C293%3A6%7C294%3A30

My guess is that since this particular one is only
80 mm x 120 mm long or appr. 3 1/8" x 6" long, and yet it has a very significant energy capacity (90 J), there is no way that its internal construction could render it competant to withstand the high RMS cur-
rents and tremendous peak currents encountered
in larger SG driven Tesla coil circuits, even though polystyrene is a good, low loss dielectric. Likely of very fragile metallized film construction. What are
your thoughts?

David Rieben