From: Lau, Gary [mailto:Gary.Lau@xxxxxx]
Sent: 07 May 2009 15:10
To: Tesla Coil Mailing List
Subject: RE: [TCML] Scope Issues

While the timing between successive bangs is extremely erratic when using a
static gap, if one adjusts the sweep speed to show just one bang to the
point of quench, the bang-to-bang repeatability is actually quite good and
will show a reasonably stable display.  There will be some variability in
bang amplitude from bang to bang, and this will result in differences in
quenching, but one can usually overcome this by setting the trigger
threshold high enough to just trigger on the highest bangs.  So the scope
must be set to the trigger mode that shows no trace at all when the coil is
off or when the trigger threshold is set too high.

If one is using a very old or cheap scope that does not have triggered
sweep, then this probably won't work, but I've never tried using such a
scope.  What kind of scope are you using?

Regards, Gary Lau
MA, USA