Re: [TCML] Mystery very old

The power company maintenance shop here has a small building full of old transformers.  What you discribe sounds like some I saw at the maintenance shop.  That stuff is very old, each coil has only 2 wires with no taps, designed to run on a specific voltage.  I think back in those days if a 20KV power line was reading 18KV 10 miles down the road they ordered a transformer wound for 18KV to use at that location.  There was no taps back then and the transformer they ordered could be used only at any 18KV location.  The maintenance shop here has a bunch of transformers like that I can buy them for scrap metal prices 2 cents/lb. but I don't think they are worth having.  One transformer I looked at said 15KV primary, 110 volts secondary, 5000 watts, date 1950, what in the world could anyone do with a thing like that.  It might be easy to rewind the 110 volt coil to 240 volts.  40 years ago I use to do things like that but not anymore.  I wouldn't haul it home if it was free.