Re: [TCML] Ballasting my Homemade Transformer.

Hi all,

I took the core of a gutted defunct x-ray transformer (I
seem to burn them out a lot ;^(), and rewound each
"leg" with 105 turns of #8 THNN building wire, in pa-
rallel. Since #8 is rated for 40 amps continuous current
flow, I should be good for 80 amps continuous, at least
from the wire guage perspective. This core was not the
alternately leaved "E" and "I" peice construction, but of
the two solid "U"s, which rendered rewiring considerably
easier. IIRC, each leg has about a 10 to 11 square inch
cross section and each are wound with a ballast coil, so
I'm assuming that the cross sectional area is additive ( >
20 sq. in. total). I simply experimented with a variaced 120
volt source while adjusting the gap spacing between the "U"s
to adjust for the desired current flow allowance. I found that
3/8" spacing allowed for enough flux leakage to allow about
95 to 100 amps to flow at 280 volts input to the ballast.
I also employed forced air cooiling to the finished home-
made ballast to assist in cooling. With this setup, I have
to run it at near max current for several minutes non-stop
before I am able to detect ANY warmth above ambient
temperature by hand. Oh yea, I forgot to mention that I
placed shim spacer sticks between each alternate layer
of the coils to maintain well-formed coils and also to
allow adequate ventiallation between the neighboring
layers. You can see the two reddish colored coils of
#8 THNN building wire of the ballast at the bottom of
the control panle in this "Green Monster Control Panel"
photo:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/33464569@N05/3118524350/

David

----- Original Message ----- From: "david baehr" <dfb25@xxxxxxxxxxx>