Re: [TCML] "Wall Wart" Transformers

Sorry, but that won't work!

I had a friend do that back in electronics class, and all he did was let the smoke out of his strobe light kit. (both xfmr and circuit board) He didn't know what wires were what on the xfmr, and the instructions didn't say either.

David E Weiss

I had a few of those big black "Wall Wart" transformers lying around. i pulled some apart and noticed that they have some nice looking transformers inside them. The transformers have EE cores, with the cores made of interlocking metal Es. the primary and secondary are wound side by side, not primary on top of secondary, or vice versa. Some have center taps on the original secondaries (which we would use as primaries). By running them in the reverse of their normal configuration, and possibly removing several winding from the primaries (seems like an easy way to make the turn ratio larger), would it be possible to use them in tesla coils? this would make transformers basically free, and i would hate to keep buying NSTs and OBITs if there were such an easy cheap alternative. _______________________________________________
Tesla mailing list
Tesla@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx