Re: [TCML] Considering a new coil build...

Hi

On Tuesday 24 March 2009 02:29:02 pm Travis Tabbal wrote:
> Secondary: 8" diameter ~30" long. What do people use as a form for these
> big coils? I was thinking of drying some Sonotube or other cardboard tube
> and coating with laminating epoxy or even just polyurathane. Or I could get
> ambitious and try to make a fiberglass tube by adding a release agent to
> the sonotube so I can slip the fiberglass off after curing. Considering
> AWG20 magnet wire. Works out to about 1000 turns. Need a source for that
> much wire in one spool. The 11lb spools on EBay and such are too small. I
> need about 15lb if I'm figuring right.

A few years ago I wound a 12 3/4" O.D. X 45 3/4" winding length secondary from
#18 AWG double build magnet wire. I bought two 10lb spools. It came out to 1027
turns closewound. I spliced the wire when the first spool ran out, butt splice
silver soldered with oxy/acetylene torch. Total was 15lbs, approximately.

20AWG double build gives about 300'/lb. The dimensions you give work out to a
little over a couple thousand feet, so a 10lb spool should do, I would think.

later
deano