Re: [TCML] MAX SPARK FOR FIXED VOLTAGE

Impractical DRSSTC yes.
But,theoretically possible also yes.
>From what I know from HF power antennae theory , steady state high frequency excition can more easily break nonuniform gap than D.C. or low frequency (60 hz).
HF requires less voltage ,or if you like less average breakdown field for the same rod-rod gap.
Things get changed with an optimal rise time monopolar positive pulse when voltages become really high and bigger gaps  .
But there must be also an optimal DRSSTC envelope rise for given gap,and due to  smaller average breakdown field HF optimal pulse should arc longer than monopolar pulse.

Dex

--- jimlux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

From: jimlux <jimlux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [TCML] MAX SPARK FOR FIXED VOLTAGE
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2009 20:46:44 -0700

Dex Dexter wrote:
> Yep ,but a single shot DRSSTC can be made to beat a Marx generator at every voltage level.
>
> Dex

Pretty bold statement there Dex..

Have you seen this photo:
http://205.243.100.155/frames/longarc.htm#Longspark

Somehow building a DRSSTC that can do a megajoule in a shot seems an
impressive (and impractical) feat.

Likewise, I haven't seen many 5MV DRSSTCs (and you did say "every
voltage level")

Jim